A. H. Hawke Helston

Information Request
Postcard Lists
Postcard Sales
Postcard Search
Postcard Subjects

Ancient Monuments
Billy Bray
Post Offices
Real Cornish
Scenes with Vehicles

Contact Me

Postcard Subjects - Lighthouses

658 St. Anthony Lighthouse

Built in 1835, the St Anthony's Head lighthouse stands on the eastern side of the entrance to Falmouth Harbour Built by Olver of Falmouth, Cornwall, work started in May 1834, and the light first shone in April 1835. The light warns ships of Black Rock in the centre of the channel into Falmouth Harbour, and also of the Manacles Rocks offshore. The light itself originally came from 8 Argand oil lamps, changed to pressure vapour and eventually to electricity when mains electricity was connected in 1954. Today the light is automated, flashing every 15 seconds, with a red sector for the Manacles Rocks and a range of 22 miles. The fog horn blasts once every 30 seconds

5292 The Lizard Light

5343 The Lizard Light

738 Lizard Lighthouse

In 1762 Trinity House built a two tower, coal fired station, which it leased for 61 years to a Thomas Fonnerau. The two towers are still at the Lizard. The coal fires were replaced by Argand oil lights in 1812, and they in turn replaced in 1878 by generator powered electricity. And the signal continued as two fixed lights till 1903. In 1903 the two tower system was stopped, and a single flashing light used. This has a white flash every 3 seconds and a range of 25 miles. The fog horn gives 2 blasts every 60 seconds

3624 Pendeen Lighthouse

The original lens apparatus is still used, weighs 2.5 tons, and floats on a mercury bed. The light source has changed though, from the concentric oil fired wicks to mains electricity in 1926. There is a stand by generator on site in case of mains failure. The present light has a range of 28 miles, with 4 flashes every 15 seconds. There is also a fog signal with a blast every 20 seconds